Deaths from the China virus is going down in Sweden. In total there has been 82,972 cases and 5,766 deaths from a population of 10,106,111 people.
Their case and death rate per million inhabitants are 8,210 and 571
For U.S.A. the corresponding rates are 15,711 and 500.
Sweden didn’t have a full lock-down but instituted some restrictions:
– National ban on visiting retirement homes.
– Ban on public gatherings of 50 people or more.
– The Government decided to stop non-essential travel to Sweden from countries outside the EU.
– New rules for restaurants, cafés and pubs, no closings but enforce social distancing and strict hygiene rules.
– Implement measures to avoid crowding of people in queues, at tables, buffets or bar counters.
– Ensure that guests can keep at least one meter’s ( 3 1/4 feet) distance from other people.
– Only serve food and drink to guests who are seated at a table or a bar counter.
– Guests are permitted to order and pick up food and drink, provided that this does not lead to crowding or queues.
– Offer guests the opportunity to wash their hands thoroughly with soap and water, or offer them hand sanitizer.
– Inform guests about how they can decrease the risk for spreading infection.
Sweden did not institute a mandatory mask mandate.
Elementary schools remained fully open.
The Swedish Medical Products Agency, Läkemedelsverket, stopped the use of hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine against the China virus on April 2, 2020, until October 31, 2020. Had these medications remained available for prescription by a general physician the death rates would have gone down, probably by about 50% according to over 40 international studies. This assumes medication would have been prescribed as soon as symptoms arose.
Their excuse: “The Medical Products Agency has received signals of a sharp increase in prescribing of chloroquine, which is judged to be related to the outbreak of covid-19. The drug is relevant in several ongoing clinical trials against covid-19. To counteract a shortage situation, a new regulation will limit prescribing to doctors with certain specialist competencies, as well as limiting the dispensing of the medicine.”
In other words: We don’t care if people die before our clinical trials are complete.
But to show heart, they add: “An approved drug containing hydroxychloroquine may be dispensed against a prescription from a pharmacy only if it has been prescribed by a doctor with specialist competence in rheumatology, skin and sexually transmitted diseases or pediatric and adolescent medicine.”
The Swedish Public Health Agency, Folkhälsomyndigheten, releases a weekly report about the China virus.
The week 31 report includes the following
Page 8: “Of the deaths confirmed since the beginning of the pandemic, 47 percent are from deceased residing in nursing homes. Of confirmed cases in nursing homes, the pandemic has killed 38 percent.”
Page 13: “From the start of the pandemic until the current reporting week, the average age of the deceased was 82 years (median age 84 years)”