The Headquarters move: Is it sane? (1)
Are Climate Change worries in vain? (2)
But Jeff Bezos got cash (3)
to amass to his stash (4)
and move it to Queens’ worst floodplain. (5)
(1) Amazon is moving its headquarters from Seattle to Crystal City, Virginia, next to the Reagan airport, and to Long Island City, Queens, New York. This makes eminent sense from a business standpoint, Washington D.C. to maximize its influence on lawmakers, and New York City to maximize its influence on world business. The cost of living is comparable, all 3 cities are among the most expensive in the world. Here is where it makes no sense:
(2) In a letter to Washington Post employees, Jeff Bezos promised to “follow the truth” wherever it leads. If he is serious about that commitment, his first order of business should be to ensure that climate denial no longer has a place at the paper, including the editorial pages. Join us to make sure Jeff Bezos makes strong climate coverage a top priority at TheWashington Post. (From “forecast the facts.”) (Jeff Bezos owns the Washington Post through Nash Holdings).
(3) The cost to Virginia taxpayers 1 Billion, to New York City taxpayers 1.2 Billion.
(4) Jeff Bezos’ net worth today: around 90 Billion Dollars.
(5) This is probably the most puzzling aspect of the move. The proposed property sits next to the East River in the floodplain. It and all joining streets were flooded in Hurricane Sandy. According to U.N. it is sure to be flooded occasionally in 2020, frequently in 2030, and constantly in 2080.
Where the trees are, there is where the new headquarters are to be built. Flooding risk, anyone?