“Mormonism, America’s Islam” is a book written in 1912 by Bruce Kinney. Can that premise possibly be true?
Let us find out what Mormons and Muslims have in common.
Here is a list of Similarities between Muhammad and Joseph Smith:
– Visited by an angel. (Muhammad: Gabriel. Joseph Smith: Moroni)
– Given visions.
– Told that no true religion existed on the earth.
– Was sent to restore the long-lost faith as the one true religion.
– A book produced from their teachings claimed to be “inspired by God.” (1)
– Each claimed to be illiterate or uneducated and used this as proof the book was inspired.
– Each claimed the Bible was lost, altered, corrupted and unreliable. (2)
– Each claimed his new holy book was the most correct and perfect book on earth.
– Each claimed to be a final prophet of God.
– Each claimed he was persecuted because of his pure faith.
– Each was a polygamist who had many wives.
– Immediately after his death a fight broke out from among the “faithful converts” as to who would succeed him.
– Both religions have those who follow the “original doctrine” of the founding leaders and like these founding leaders, have been violent, polygamists, and have revelations justifying their evil actions. (3)
– Each has progressive revelation. (“New” revelation always replaces older revelation that became inconvenient to the prophet.)
– Each advocated a theocratic type of government.
– Each rejected original sin and the doctrine of the trinity.
– Each taught a salvation by good works.
– Each taught a here-after with graded rewards for works.
– Both claim Mormonism and Islam to be the world’s fastest growing religion. (4)
(1) Joseph Smith: The Book of Mormon, Muhammad: The Quran.
(2) The golden plates with reformed Egyptian hieroglyphics shown to Joseph Smith are nowhere to be found, so no source critical analysis can be performed. The sayings of Mohammad were written down in part, but mostly carried by oral tradition until 130 years later when the Quran was written down and agreed upon by a committee. No source critical analysis is allowed, since this would blaspheme Muhammad. Contrast this with the Holy Bible. It has received many revisions of source critical analysis, and when the Dead Sea Scrolls were found it turned out that most, if not all claims of alteration were false.
(3) Mormons have turned peaceful, no violent conversion is permitted, but if you want a Temple wedding you have to fulfill your missionary duty. Muhammad started the concept of Jihad, or Holy War. In the Quran it means just that, and according to Sharia Law 1/8 of all your charitable giving must go to Jihad. Many modern Muslims take Jihad to be proselytizing by persuation.
(4) The fastest growing faith is Evangelical Christianity, mostly in Asia and frequently of the Charismatic type.